NEW KDHamptons Shopping Diary: Interior Designer Tom Samet Shares A Tour Of Four Favorite Sag Harbor Stores
One of my favorite things to do in the Hamptons is go shopping with one of my ubër chic interior designer pals. Enter Tom Samet, who was raised and lived on the North Shore of Long Island in Locust Valley, and has been one of the most coveted decorators on the East End for decades. Name the breathtaking Hamptons home, and most likely Tom Samet was the interior design Svengali behind the scenes. Tom’s design style was influenced by the most historic gracious country houses found in Long Island and can been seen in his work today. Unafraid of color, pattern, and texture, Tom creates spaces that are not only beautifully layered, but also livable and practical for families with children and pets and easy to entertain in. Tom currently lives and works with his partner, Nathan Wold, in East Hampton, where they work at his design firm, Hamptons House Design. Tom takes KDHamptons readers on a tour of his favorite Sag Harbor shops in this NEW Design Diary, below:
KDHamptons: How would you describe your design style in one sentence?
Tom Samet: My style could best be described as updated traditional country beach house.
KDHamptons: What makes Sag Harbor such a great design resource destination? Ready to take our readers on a shopping spree?
Tom: I would say the variety of home shops all within walking distance. Sag Harbor has the most charming storefronts in a historical setting. Boasting very attentive and friendly shop keepers, Sag Harbor Village makes shopping a pleasure. Let’s shop! I have a long list of favorites, but let’s start with my top three….stay tuned for more to come:
1. SYLVESTER & CO – All of the best basics can be found here. Set in an almost industrial environment, Sylvester & Co. has offered the ultimate hostess gifts, and unique home accessories on Main Street for over 25 years, not to mention their own brand of “Dream” coffee. “Our flagship store in Sag Harbor is our creative epi-center where we gather our ideas and launch new products into the eclectic mix of our signature Modern General brand,” shares owner Linda Sylvester.
Address: 103 Main St. Sag Harbor, 631-725-501; Sylvesterandco.com
2. BLOOM – I love BLOOM for all of the clean well-edited whites and neutrals. Owner Mona Nerenberg offers the most pristine collection, almost Nordic in feeling, in a charming 18th century Sag Harbor home. Every Hamptons beach house needs the Belgian oak furniture, Tuscan stoneware, hand blown goblets, and linen napkins from BLOOM.
Address: 43 Madison Street, Sag Harbor, 631-725-5940
3. MONC XIII – World class unique home furnishings and antiques can be found here. Owner Natasha Esch curates the most exquisite offering of pieces that are exclusively sold at her stunning store. Step inside and you will want to move in. Wonderful pillows, stunning home accessories, and tabletop collections from Europe are de rigueur. “We want to inspire our customers with a beautiful environment and most importantly unique, spectacular, hand-picked selections from 18th Century to Mid Century,” shares Natasha.
4. SAGE STREET ANTIQUES: Unique vintage accessories and tableware at Sage Street. Owner Eliza Werner carries a great selection of antique furniture, garden statues & urns, lamps, paintings, kitchenware, bookcase decor, dining ware, mirrors and more. The best part? Because shopping at her store is so popular, the inventory changes every weekend. Be sure to stock up on some fun new entertaining items for the upcoming summer season. Get creative – you should never repeat the same exact table top design at your Hamptons dinner parties.
Location: 114 Division St Sag Harbor; (631) 725-4036
“And what day of shopping does not include lunch under the moose at the American Hotel? One of my longtime favorite Hamptons restaurants,” shares Tom. For more information or to contact Tom Samet and Nathan Wold at Hamptons House Design please email: email@example.com
** www.hamptonshousedesign.com (COMING SOON!)
* All photos in this feature by Kelli Delaney